1. What is Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan service?
Document Delivery is a library service which provides readers with articles and book chapters. For readers from HEU, the library provides them with documents held outside the HEU library. For readers outside HEU, the library provides them with documents held in the HEU library.
Interlibrary Loan is a library book-sharing service based on the lending mechanism between libraries.
2. Which institutions share Document Delivery service with HEU?
At present, HEU shares Document Delivery service with the following institutions: China Academic Library and Information System (CALIS), National Science and Technology Library (NSTL), China Academic Social Sciences and Humanities Library (CASHL), the National Library, Shanghai Library Institute of Science and Technology, Tsinghua University Library, China Defense Science and Technology Information Center, China Nuclear Science and Technology Information and Economic Research Institute, China Ship Information Center, Aviation Industry Corporation of China, No.628 Institute, Heilongjiang Institute of Standardization and the Patent Archives of State Intellectual Property Office.
3. How should I apply for a Document Delivery service?
Before submitting an application, the applicants should search carefully the library resources (including electronic ones) to make sure that what they need is indeed unavailable in the HEU library. There are three ways to submit an application:
(1) By email: Applicants can send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include in the email your HEU ID number and contact number.
(2) By CALIS Document Delivery System: Applicants can first log in to the CALIS System through http://www.hlj.calis.edu.cn:8090/, and then submit their applications after they’ve found the desired resources. Please refer to Annex: Instructions of the CALIS System for a detailed guide.
(3) By Document Delivery Request Form: Applicants can download and complete the Document Delivery Request Form and submit it to the reference desk on the 2nd floor of the library. They can also give the form to a document courier person.
4. What is the fee for Document Delivery service? How soon can I expect my article?
The HEU library offers free Document Delivery service to HEU students, faculty and staff except for special documents. Please refer to Annex: Subsidy standards for Document Delivery Service. For readers outside HEU, if they apply through the CALIS system, they are charged according to the CALIS standard; if they apply through other ways, they are charged by 0.5 yuan/page.
For applicants from HEU, the library will submit their applications on the day when they apply. The time of offering the articles depends on the institutions providing them. For applicants outside HEU, the library will provide them with the articles in 2-3 business days.
5. What are the requirements and limitations of applying the Document Delivery service?
(1) Applicants should make sure that what they need is not held in the HEU library.
(2) Applicants should comply with the Copyright Agreement and Copyright Act when they are using documents through the Document Delivery service. The documents are for research and learning purposes only, and should not be used for any commercial purposes. If the use of documents is beyond the range of “appropriate use”, the applicants will be held responsible for any copyright infringement behaviors.
(3) The library staff has the right to verify the applicants’ requests. If the subjects of the documents requested are beyond those offered by HEU, the library has the right to reject the request.